Almotamar.net - A concluding statement of the meeting of partners and friends of Yemen was issued in the British capital London on Wednesday evening 27 January 2010.
Below is the text of the statement:
Officials from Yemen, its friends and partners have today met in London to discuss the many urgent problems which the people of Yemen face. The meeting reiterated support for a unified Yemen, respect for its sovereignty and independence, and commitment to non-interference in Yemen's internal affairs. It was clear that economic and social reform by the government of Yemen was key to long-term stability and prosperity.
It was agreed that a comprehensive approach was needed, with strong support from the international community.
* The challenges in Yemen are growing and, if not addressed, risk threatening the stability of the country and broader region. The government of Yemen has identified the following areas which are of most concern and require urgent action.
i) Improved international coordination and support on Yemen;
ii) Work on finding a shared analysis of the challenges facing Yemen, including conditions conducive to radicalisation and instability, and agreement that a comprehensive approach is needed to address them; and ...
iii) The need for greater support and impetus to the political and economic reform agenda, including urgent and concrete action by the government of Yemen.
* The government of Yemen recognises the urgent need to address these issues which will take sustained and focused engagement. It was agreed that responsibility for tackling these challenges lies first and foremost with the Government of Yemen, drawing on the support of the wider region and international community.
* The meeting welcomed:
- The declared commitment of the Government of Yemen to continue to pursue its reform agenda, and to initiate discussion of an IMF programme. This will provide welcome support and help the government to confront immediate challenges.
- The announcement by the GCC Secretary General that he will host a meeting of Gulf and other international donors on Yemen in Riyadh on 22-23 February. The meeting will share analysis on the barriers to effective aid in Yemen, leading to a joint dialogue with the government of Yemen, including on priority reforms.
- The commitment by the international community to supporting the Government of Yemen in the fight against Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula and other forms of terrorism. As well as the recent U.N. Sanctions Committee decisions to designate AQAP, and the commitment by participants at this meeting to fully enforce the terms of the designation of AQAP and its leadership under the UNSCR 1267 regime.
- The determination of the international community to engage further in support of Yemeni government efforts to build law enforcement, legislative, judicial and security capacities. Yemen's partners agreed to support Yemeni government initiatives to strengthen their counter-terrorist capabilities, and to enhance aviation and border security. This will include work on both land and maritime borders, including on strengthening the Yemeni Coastguard.
- The launch of a 'Friends of Yemen' process, which will address the broad range of challenges facing Yemen. It will be supported by two working groups on economy and governance; and justice and law enforcement. These should meet in time to report back to the first Friends of Yemen meeting, which should take place in the region in late March.
The government of Yemen and ‘Friends of Yemen’ will discuss ways of application of Yemen’s national reform plan and this process will form a group by a working team on economy and governance as well as on labour and enforcement of the law.
The border areas in the province is exposed daily to the bombing Saudi war aggression, Targeting citizens' houses and Public and private properties, the official said.
The operating room did not receive any communication about presence of human victims, the official explained.
The missile force bombed Saudi enemy soldiers gatherings in Nhoukh, Abu Hamdan and al-Sudais areas, a military source said, adding to another gathering of Saudi enemy soldiers and Saudi military vehicles in al- Katra site in Najran with many missile ,caused a number of killed and injureds In their ranks
The three raids targeted Dilaa area , which led to great damages to citizens' houses and properties .also raids targeted al-Madfon area with three raids ,caused huge damages to citizens' houses and proprieties .
The official confirmed six of the mercenaries were killed and three were injured including a Front leader of al- Ghayl Ahmed Abdullah Muhsin when they tried to advance towards al-Mgath area in al- Ghayl district .